[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode() functions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 29 16:53:09 UTC 2022

#55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode()
functions
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jrf                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task (blessed)                  |      Status:  new
                                            |  standards
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------

Comment (by desrosj):

 Replying to [comment:8 TimothyBlynJacobs]:
 > What does making the extension require look like for servers that don't
 currently have mbstring installed? Do we have the technology to ensure
 they stay on 6.0.x? Is it that they'll see the 6.1 update as available,
 but if they try to update to it, they'll get an error message?

 I wanted to get clarification on the answer to this question.

 There is precedent for blocking a site from upgrading when a PHP extension
 is missing. In WordPress 5.2, the
 [https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/10/15/php-native-json-extension-now-
 required/ native JSON extension was marked as required] (see [46455]).
 When an upgrade was attempted and a site did not have this extension
 loaded, an error was shown and the update was cancelled.

 I know it's not ideal to add a bunch of on-off extension checks in the
 updater, but these changes are rare and they could be consolidated into a
 better solution through #56017 once solved.

 I'm not yet advocating for or against this being in 6.1, but I want to
 make sure I'm not missing something when to comes to Core having the
 ability to "block" an update if a site lacks a certain PHP extension.

 One other thing to note is that an error code specific to the scenario
 where the JSON extension missing is returned, which allows the number of
 sites to being blocked from an update to be tracked in .org's mission
 control to gauge whether this deprecation ends up being problematic or not
 (see [46560]).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55603#comment:36>