[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56666: Bug/performance: No need to make repeat calls to `get_theme_file_path` in `register_block_style_handle`

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 27 12:07:39 UTC 2022

#56666: Bug/performance: No need to make repeat calls to `get_theme_file_path` in
`register_block_style_handle`
--------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  aristath      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  performance   |
 The `register_block_style_handle` function runs ~200 times on each page
 load.
 Each time it runs, we call `get_theme_file_path` and then run it through
 `wp_normalize_path`.
 `get_theme_file_path` calls `get_stylesheet_directory`, which calls
 `get_stylesheet`, which calls `get_option`, and there's a bunch of filters
 that run on each iteration of that - without ever changing.

 We can cache the value and avoid 200 calls on many functions and filters -
 improving performance.