[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56405: Add a help tab in Theme Install screen for the new "Block Themes" search filter.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 18 16:26:29 UTC 2022

#56405: Add a help tab in Theme Install screen for the new "Block Themes" search
filter.
-------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  audrasjb           |       Owner:  poena
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by webcommsat):

 Thanks @audrasjb .

 1) Proposed text:
 '"A block theme is a theme that uses blocks for all parts of a site
 including navigation menus, header, content, and site footer. These themes
 are built for the newest features in WordPress that allow you to edit and
 customize all parts of your site.'
 ' With a block theme, you can place and edit blocks outside your content
 by customizing or creating new templates."

 Suggestion:
 I would suggest incorporating a sentence on what a block is or linking to
 the definition of a block.
 Some ways to do this:
 - link to the definition in the codex glossary, which describes it as:
 "The abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed
 together, form the content or layout of a webpage." However, this is not
 the easiest of texts for a non developer audience, but at least gives a
 link to what a block is for anyone new to it.
 - add a description for blocks, eg: "Blocks are a new way of organizing
 content on a page or post."

 2) In terms of "place and edit blocks outside your content", this may be
 slightly confusing when translating.
 Can we say something like "place and edit blocks without affecting your
 content" or "... separate to your content" assuming this is what is meant
 in this reference?

 3) Reference to 'newest' - unless this copy is marked for a change again
 in a year or so, will these features still be ones we want to describe in
 this way?

 4) It could be valuable to link to a developer hub page on customizing
 blocks.

 Let me know if there was anything else you wanted a copy review on to get
 this ticket completed. Thanks

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56405#comment:7>