[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56901: WP_Theme_JSON_Resolver::get_user_data_from_wp_global_styles is incorrectly cached.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 25 00:52:52 UTC 2022

#56901: WP_Theme_JSON_Resolver::get_user_data_from_wp_global_styles is incorrectly
cached.
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  peterwilsoncc  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes         |    Version:
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                 |
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 This ticket is for tacking the WordPress-Develop changes required for
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/44946
 WordPress/gutenberg#44946].

 From the original report:

 > When importing demo content using WP 6.1 styles are not imported
 correctly although the same works fine in WP 6.0.2.

 > Imported content displays the theme's default colors and styling instead
 of the styling set for that particular demo. However, in the "Site Editor"
 styles are correctly displayed. Sometimes when I exit the Site Editor the
 styles are then correctly displayed in the front end as well, but
 sometimes it takes a few tries.

 > This issue happens with the WordPress default importer as well as our
 theme's built-in import system.

 Please see the Gutenberg repo's ticket for further details and discussion.

 During investigation, it was discovered to be a cache invalidation issue.
 The caching within the `get_user_data_from_wp_global_styles()` method was
 not cleared when new custom styles posts were created.

 The [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/3517 linked pull
 request] switches the caching to use the lower-level caching provided by
 `WP_Query`. This provides two advantages:

 * removes duplicate caching of the same data
 * cache invalidation is managed at the lower level

 **Committers** Please review
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/44946
 WordPress/gutenberg#44946] when generating the props list for this ticket.