[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56910: Improve caching in `wp_get_global_stylesheet` and `wp_get_global_styles_svg_filters` functions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 24 04:03:06 UTC 2022

#56910: Improve caching in `wp_get_global_stylesheet` and
`wp_get_global_styles_svg_filters` functions
 Reporter:  spacedmonkey  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement   |      Status:  new

Comment (by andrewserong):

 Great idea to tweak the caching logic to be more performant!

 > Global styles only change if the owner of the site, makes a change or a
 theme is changed

 Some of the other times that the output will be changed is when a plugin
 is installed or updated, or when core files change, since any of these can
 alter the output of the core theme.json processing.

 There are reports over in https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56970 and
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/45713 that sound related to
 core (and its `theme.json` file and processing logic) being updated, but
 new styles from the core `theme.json` file (and the associated processing
 logic) not being included. So, I think any updates to the caching logic
 should ideally factor in WP updates or plugin installations and upgrades,
 too.

 I suppose there's also the possibility of plugins allowing configuration
 over things that might affect global styles output, too, so personally,
 I'd still probably lean toward there being some kind of fallback timeout
 for cache invalidation rather than caching indefinitely, since this area
 is difficult to predict. However, things like plugin installations or
 updates happen pretty infrequently, so I agree that the timeout could be
 much longer than one minute.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56910#comment:3>