[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57125: custom changes to wp-includes/functions.php overwritten by automatic upgrades, breaking Cloudflare or squid frontend

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 16 11:25:07 UTC 2022

#57125: custom changes to wp-includes/functions.php overwritten by automatic
upgrades, breaking Cloudflare or squid frontend
-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  noexitorescape               |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                  |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize                    |    Version:  6.1.1
 Severity:  minor                        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration, performance  |
-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 custom changes to wp-includes/functions.php are clobbered whenever there
 is an upgrade thereby breaking login functions with "too many redirects"
 error when WordPress is behind squid or cloudflare (or similar https
 proxy)

 I have to re-insert it in wp-includes/functions.php manually every time I
 have an automatic update done in the background without knowing about it.
 good for security and good for knowing there was a recent update and to
 read about it. but I am somewhat nomadic and this may be problematic if I
 can't get at the CLI to remedy this in the back end. I do not recall
 encountering this until later versions of 6.x

 I categorized this as an enhancement rather than as a bug, and if it is a
 bug then it is a trivial/minor bug or request if I'm the only one
 complaining about it. I am aware of how to fix it, it is just that after
 the 5th or 6th time here I wished to provide some feedback with apologies
 in advance if you have another recommended way to implement what others
 have done with this snippet in older versions of WordPress.

 {{{#!php
 <?php
 /**
  *  Enable HTTPS behind proxy service
  */

 if (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO']) &&
 $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO'] == 'https') {
     $_SERVER['HTTPS'] = 'on';
 }

 }}}

 thank you