[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57063: WordPress 6.1, WP_Filesystem_FTPext breaks on the default FreeBSD FTPD server

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 10 15:07:00 UTC 2022

#57063: WordPress 6.1, WP_Filesystem_FTPext breaks on the default FreeBSD FTPD
server
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  gamecreature    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Filesystem API  |    Version:  6.1
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 I update my WordPress installations via WP_Filesystem_FTPext .

 The FTP server I use is the default FTPD deamon from FreeBSD 13.1.
 Since the 6.1 update plugin installing doesn't work anymore. (It doesn't
 create the plugin directories)

 The reason is that the method exists doesn't return the correct value
 anymore.
 It always return true.

 Reason is that the raw ls command  returns a 'ftpd: /nonexisten/file: No
 such file or directory'

 {{{
 ftp> ls /nonexisten/file
 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||65185|)
 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
 ftpd: /nonexisten/file: No such file or directory
 226 Transfer complete.
 }}}

 The exist method checks if the empty method if the result is empty.

 {{{
 ! empty( ftp_rawlist( $this->link, $path ) );
 }}}

 Which it never will because it contains the message  `ftpd:
 /nonexisten/file: No such file or directory`

 When I copy the 6.0 version of `wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-
 ftpext.php` it works again.

 This issue is related to #56966