[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56985: An unupdated Version of Gutenberg Fatally breaks the sute on WordPress 6.1 Autoupdate

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 3 20:17:32 UTC 2022

#56985: An unupdated Version of Gutenberg Fatally breaks the sute on WordPress 6.1
Autoupdate
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  namith.jawahar   |       Owner:  hellofromTonya
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:7 namith.jawahar]:

 > Updating the plugin fixes the issue and is the straight forward way to
 prevent it from happening

 Not exactly :)

 The newer version of Gutenberg would usually require newer version of WP.
 So you will not be able to update Gutenberg if you are running an older
 version of WP, usually 2-3 versions behind.

 > It would be good if we have a system of verifying very popular
 incompatible plugins

 Perhaps, but that usually is not known before a new WP version is
 released. I.e. plugins have minimum required version, but don't have
 maximum allowed version of WP.

 > The solution would be simple and can be rolled out even after a version
 is released if it can be implemented via the API : If there is an
 incompatible plugin don't do / offer an auto update.

 Not sure that would be a good solution :)

 The core team will have to test how compatible old versions of some
 plugins are before each WP release, and to be able to detect less obvious
 incompatibilities.

 That is usually not needed for any plugin as core is pretty good in
 maintaining forward compatibility, and plugin authors are pretty good in
 updating their plugins. The only exception is Gutenberg as its code is
 merged to core. Then there's the question of how namy: 100, 200, 500 "top
 plugins" would have to be tested, and how far back: 1 year, 2 years, 5
 years... Seems this will quickly become an impossibly big task :)

 Also, Gutenberg in not a standard WP plugin. It is part of core that is
 being developed separately and released as a plugin for early
 preview/testing. That's the reason there is a tight correlation between
 the Gutenberg and WP versions.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56985#comment:8>