[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55796: SHORTINIT requires rest-api.php via rest_cookie_collect_status() via wp_get_current_user()

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 24 06:09:11 UTC 2022

#55796: SHORTINIT requires rest-api.php via rest_cookie_collect_status() via
wp_get_current_user()
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  johnjamesjacoby        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  new

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 > Would it work to move all of the REST API related hooks (...)

 Yes; that approach would circumvent this specific incongruity in a nice
 enough way.

 Tangentially, because `SHORTINIT` entitles anyone to kinda just load
 whatever however, I think we both have the same hunch that other core
 features will go similarly haywire if their files aren't pulled in and
 their functions are missing but they are still hooked in via `default-
 filters.php`.

 Some I found:
 * `kses_init` > `set_current_user` > `wp->init()`
 * `_post_format_request` > `request` > `wp->parse_request()`
 * `_close_comments_for_old_posts` > `the_posts` > `wp->query_posts()`

 ...and I guess I do not think it is a great pattern for KSES, Post
 Formats, or Comments to follow – having their own respective
 `-filters.php` files – but because it's all gotten a bit jumbled, maybe?
 🤔

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55796#comment:2>