[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49701: Quick Edit fails to populate taxonomy terms when show_in_quick_edit = true, and show_ui = false

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 10 18:19:33 UTC 2022

#49701: Quick Edit fails to populate taxonomy terms when show_in_quick_edit = true,
and show_ui = false
-----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  figureone        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new
Changes (by SergeyBiryukov):

 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 6.0

Old description:

> Aloha, we discovered that the `show_in_quick_edit` property is not being
> checked when populating a post's taxonomy terms in `/wp-admin/edit.php`.
> As a consequence, if `show_in_quick_edit` is true, but `show_ui` is false
> for a given taxonomy, the Quick Edit UI will not check any of the term
> checkboxes, which can result in losing existing terms when a post is
> updated via Quick Edit.
>
> Likely this was just an oversight when `show_in_quick_edit` was
> introduced here:
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/31307
>
> And it should be an easy fix to check `show_in_quick_edit` instead of
> `show_ui` here:
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-
> admin/includes/template.php#L343
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-
> admin/includes/template.php#L354
>
> `show_in_quick_edit` defaults to the value of `show_ui` if it isn't
> specified, so this change shouldn't introduce any issues.
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-includes/class-wp-
> taxonomy.php#L334
>
> Our use case:
> We have a taxonomy and terms defined in a plugin that is not meant to be
> edited in the WordPress UI. However, we do want users to be able to
> assign taxonomy terms to posts in the Quick Edit UI.
>
> Extra details if needed:
> When clicking the Quick Edit button, `inline-edit-post.js` refers to the
> term divs to mark the correct checkboxes:
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-admin/js/inline-
> edit-post.js#L305-L316
> Term divs are echoed here:
> https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-
> admin/includes/template.php#L343-L364

New description:

[...]

 Hi there, welcome back to WordPress Trac!

 Thanks for the ticket, sorry it took so long for someone to get back to
 you.

 The patch does fix the issue in my testing.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49701#comment:8>