[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54677: Default widgets with alternative option name causing unnecessary database queries

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 22 05:22:54 UTC 2022

#54677: Default widgets with alternative option name causing unnecessary database
queries
 Reporter:  Chouby                               |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 At @spacedmonkey's suggestion I investigated using an upgrade routine
 https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/2951 the linked pull
 request].

 On a single site install the upgrade routine is pointless, as
 `wp_widgets_init()` is run on the `init` hook and fires prior to the
 redirect to the upgrade screen.

 An upgrade routine may be beneficial for Multisite installs (I'm not sure
 either way) but, given the options will be upgraded regardless, I am
 inclined not to add one.

 The presence of an upgrade routine causes a complete cache flush, so any
 benefit to MS installs needs to be weighed against the impact for single
 site installs.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54677#comment:10>