[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56130: Twenty Twenty-One: Load different CSS for different WP versions, to be compatible with blocks

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 14 23:06:38 UTC 2022

#56130: Twenty Twenty-One: Load different CSS for different WP versions, to be
compatible with blocks
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  poena          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement    |      Status:  new

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 I'd prefer to maintain support for the older versions of WordPress.

 Given the backward compatibility changes in the block-editor; it's
 possible a site is choosing to remain on an older version of WP while
 updating themes and plugins.

 > To keep backwards compatibility and work with current and future block
 styles, we could consider loading different CSS files for different
 WordPress versions.

 An alternative approach could be to include the mayor version of WordPress
 in the body classes; `wordpress-59`, `wordpress-60`, etc. This would allow
 for a single file to be maintained rather than a new one for each version
 of WordPress. Would that be acceptable?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56130#comment:4>