[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55095: Adding widgets to widget area with the classic editor in appearance => widgets, widget does not display on front-end (brand new widgets only))

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 6 09:25:11 UTC 2022

#55095: Adding widgets to widget area with the classic editor in appearance =>
widgets, widget does not display on front-end (brand new widgets only))
--------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  morgscode94               |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |     Status:  new
Component:  Widgets                   |    Version:  5.9
 Severity:  normal                    |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration, template  |
--------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi,

 I have noticed that when trying to create and manage widgets in the
 classic editor using the view; appearance => widgets, that when you
 attempt to display the widget on the front-end of the website using
 dynamic_sidebar('sidebar-name'), that for some reason the widget does not
 display.

 This only happens with brand new widget areas that have had no previous
 widgets assigned to them.

 I then added a new widget to the same widget area in the customizer =>
 widgets view, and the widget then displayed using dynamic_sidebar
 ('sidebar-name'). This then showed both widgets added to the area, the
 widget i assigned in appearance => widgets, and the new one i just
 assinged in customizer => widgets. To be clear these widgets were exactly
 the same in both widget used and content assigned.

 after doing this through the customizer, then adding another widget to the
 widget area in the appearance => widgets view, the updates are displaying
 on the front-end as you would expect.

 I am using self-hosted a self-hosted WordPress website.

 The widget I was trying to add to my website was a custom widget that,
 that followed the documentation in https://codex.wordpress.org/Widgets_API
 to the letter.