[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55527: <em></em> disappears from post titles when post (in 'editing' view) is refreshed + post titles lose italics formatting when changes made

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 5 03:30:09 UTC 2022

#55527: <em></em> disappears from post titles when post (in 'editing' view) is
refreshed + post titles lose italics formatting when changes made
 Reporter:  altfgcom      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  5.9.2
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Hello,

 There's a bug affecting post titles following WordPress' Josephine
 upgrade.

 We were hoping that someone else was going to report it, but it's been a
 couple of months and the issue is still there even after the most recent
 bug-fixing releases.

 This is what happens:

 Post Title: "<em>Gone with the Wind</em> won 10 Oscars"

 Once the post is saved AND refreshed (of course, on the editor's side),
 the "markers" <em></em> disappear from view.

 The title now reads:

 "Gone with the Wind won 10 Oscars"

 The only way to verify GWTW is still in italics is to click on "view
 post," so we can see the live page.

 That's *not* how it was before Josephine, and obviously that's not how it
 should be.

 There's more:

 Again, once the post has been saved AND refreshed, the title reads:

 "Gone with the Wind won 10 Oscars" (The italicized GWTW can be seen only
 in the live post)

 Now, let's say we decide to change the post title to:

 "Gone with the Wind won 10 Oscars in 1939"

 Once we do that, the italics ALSO disappear from the live post even though
 we haven't made any changes to the words "Gone with the Wind."

 In order to restore the italics, we have to re-enter <em></em> around
 "Gone with the Wind."

 And once again, after the post is saved/refreshed, the markers <em></em>
 disappear *again* from the editor's view. (Though GWTW remains italicized
 on the live post.)

 That shouldn't happen. Could you please fix this double issue?

 <em></em> should always be visible at our end. And the italics format
 should never disappear from the title (on the live post) just because we
 edited it.

 We're using the latest version of WordPress.

 The issue continued after we deactivated all plugins and used the WP
 theme.

 Your assistance would be much appreciated.

 If you need any further explanations/clarifications, please contact us at
 editor at altfg.com.

 Thank you.