[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29071: Make it easier to include an instance of the Customizer outside of customize.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 22 19:29:31 UTC 2021

#29071: Make it easier to include an instance of the Customizer outside of
customize.php
 Reporter:  ericlewis    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 I proposed using a bootstrapped customizer instance as a potential
 strategy for the new block-based widgets screen here:
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/26012. That won't be
 happening for the inital release in 5.8, but could come in the future.

 For that and similar projects, bootstrapping the customizer brings
 benefits like live preview, changesets (scheduling, drafting, etc.), and
 access to the customize API. And it offers the flexibility to use a
 completely different user interface from the standard customizer.

 At this point, I think we would need a catalyst project in WordPress core
 to support pursuing this issue further. The block-based widgets screen
 could be that project if there's enough demand for preview functionality
 in the future. I would love to see front-end customizer bootstrapping, but
 that would take a very dedicated champion to pursue at this point.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29071#comment:25>