[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53211: Changes to a reusable block are not reflected when using the post preview functionality

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 14 21:26:45 UTC 2021

#53211: Changes to a reusable block are not reflected when using the post preview
functionality
 Reporter:  thomasplevy   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor        |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 **Recreation Steps**

 1. Visit a post/page
 2. Add a preexisting reusable block to the content of the post/page
 3. Update the post/page
 4. Make a change to the content of the reusable block added in step 2
 5. Use the "Preview" -> "Preview in new tab" button to view the post
 preview

 **Expected Behavior**

 In the new tab I would expect the changes made to the reusable block (step
 4) to be reflected in the preview

 **Actual Behavior**

 The changes made in step 4 are not reflected in the preview.

 Attached gif demonstrating the above steps

 I've considered that behavior I'm encountering is potentially the actual
 expected behavior given that the reusable block (`wp_block`) post is
 what's been edited and therefore no changes have actually been made to the
 the post/page itself. But I felt it worthwhile to at the very least raise
 this issue as it feels a bit confusing to me and I had to actually unpack
 the functionality to explain to myself what was happening (and why).

 I'm also not sure if this should be reported to the Gutenberg project on
 GitHub or here. If I'd be better off reporting this over there I'll move
 it over.

 Thanks!