[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53147: Twenty Twenty: Theme Causes bbPress/BuddyBoss Main Forum Page to Display Text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun May 9 01:39:03 UTC 2021

#53147: Twenty Twenty: Theme Causes bbPress/BuddyBoss Main Forum Page to Display
Text
---------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  deborah86      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  closed

Comment (by deborah86):

 @Clorith @desrosj

 It seems the theme is corrupted. I talked to bbPress's support. The only
 way for me to continue to use the theme is to create a brand new
 installation of WordPress and use the theme there.

 The problem I am facing goes into a bigger issue with WordPress themes.
 There is no requirement or recommendation for WordPress theme authors to
 completely remove the theme files completely from the user's website.

 These theme files stick around. If a user is having an issue with the
 theme's templates, there is no way for the user to reinstall the theme
 without doing a complete wipe and reinstallation of WordPress on their
 servers.

 This complicates the simple solution of allowing a user to uninstall a
 theme that has been corrupted and reinstall a brand new version of the
 theme through the interface. The theme will start like it was installed
 brand new.

 If users want to save the theme's settings, they can use the inactivate
 function. The delete function should completely delete the theme and
 remove all theme files.

 This solution is suggested for plugins (even though many plugin authors
 ignore this and WordPress does not enforce this policy)  but not for
 themes.

 If a user cannot completely remove a theme from their WordPress install
 without having to reinstall WordPress on a new server, it shouldn't be
 offered in the theme store.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53147#comment:8>