[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47050: Recovery Email - Keep consistent newline spacing around ###CAUSE### mergetag

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 8 13:55:08 UTC 2021

#47050: Recovery Email - Keep consistent newline spacing around ###CAUSE###
mergetag
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new
Changes (by Clorith):

 * keywords:  has-patch dev-feedback needs-testing => has-patch

Comment:

 I wasn't able to track down any discussions on why this section isn't
 spaced out, other than it being the only piece of the email that was
 introduced as a placeholder like this and wasn't inline (see [44973]) in
 the original implementation, so other patches likely erred on the side of
 not changing things out of their own scope.

 As @pento mentioned, the fallback of just outputting an empty line is
 generally only done in a few situations, when the source can not reliably
 be determined as a plugin or theme, this information is populated from the
 `error_get_last()` PHP function, so if a plugin or theme filtered a value
 core was using, providing an invalid value for example, you may get an
 incorrect result pointing at core, when core isn't really to blame.

 So absolutely, we can re-word the email to not need the cause to be wedged
 inside two other strings, but erring on the side of avoiding "An unknown
 error" type messages when possible is preferable (I can't say if this was
 the initial intent with how it was implemented, since it was implemented
 this way straight away), as such messages doesn't help the end user in any
 way, so it's often more useful to omit this. And of course, need to make
 sure we avoid added whitespace :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47050#comment:11>