[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53388: Block widgets in the editor are not reflecting how they will look on the site

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 16 04:11:02 UTC 2021

#53388: Block widgets in the editor are not reflecting how they will look on the
site
-----------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  desrosj          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  closed
Changes (by noisysocks):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => duplicate
 * milestone:  5.8 =>

Comment:

 I'm going to close this ticket in favour of smaller tickets for each of
 the three seperate but related issues at play here, described below.

 == 1) Editor styles

 The widgets block editor does not currently load editor styles. This is
 why blocks appear unstyled.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/_MUIzxa7-8-3000x3000.png)]]

 This is a missing feature, not a bug, as the widgets screen has **never**
 supported editor styles or WYSIWYG editing.

 Implementing this would make it so that blocks look the same in both the
 widgets block editor and on the site frontend.

 This is tracked by GB26163 and #53344. @isabel_brison is working on a
 patch in #53344. It might be possible to add this in time for 5.8 if we
 can sort out the issues raised in GB32683.

 == 2) Default block styles

 With editor styles unavailable or turned off, some blocks do not look
 right. This is most apparent with the Latest Posts and Latest Comments
 blocks.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/EyC0Wi3CPL-2000x2000.png)]]

 Note that this bug also occurs in the post editor if you turn off
 Preferences → Use theme styles.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/nWrT1jcRln-3000x3000.png)]]

 It also affects the block editor in the Customizer.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/Q-tRefg_-Q-2000x2000.png)]]

 This needs to be fixed regardless of whether or not we add editor styles
 to the widgets editor, because editor styles can be turned off and the
 Customizer will not support them.

 I've opened GB32718 to track this issue.

 == 3) Bundled theme issues

 There are minor styling issues to do with blocks in some of the bundled
 themes. For example, in Twenty Twenty-one, the post title in the Latest
 Posts block should have a regular font size instead of a heading font
 size.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/hNqTvVxBvC-2000x2000.png)]]

 I looked briefly and saw the following issues:

 - Twenty Twenty-one: Headings in Latest Posts block are too large.
 - Twenty Seventeen: Extra padding in Latest Comments block.
 - Twenty Sixteen: Extraneous separator above Latest Comments block.
 - Twenty Fourteen: Text has low contrast in Latest Comments block.
 - Twenty Thirteen: Extra padding in Latest Comments block.
 - Twenty Ten: Extra padding on left of Latest Posts block.

 I've opened #53422 to track this issue.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53388#comment:8>