[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53670: Lazy-load admin functions in the new widgets editor REST API instead of bootstrapping the entire admin on every request

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 16 01:51:53 UTC 2021

#53670: Lazy-load admin functions in the new widgets editor REST API instead of
bootstrapping the entire admin on every request
 Reporter:  zieladam      |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by azaozz):

 > I am curious if that could help speed up the entire WP

 Yeah, that's the "million dollars question" :)

 If we are only talking about `wp-admin/includes/admin.php` and not
 "bootstrapping" all of wp-admin, it would be really good to know how much
 resources are needed to load that code.

 There definitely will be some milliseconds of disk i/o to get the files,
 and some MB of memory to load them, but not sure if that would be a "deal
 breaker" amount of resources.

 On the other hand having a big amount of "fake" functions defined when not
 in wp-admin has its costs and potential problems. For example it will
 increase the total number of functions and classes quite a bit which (as
 far as I remember) slows down PHP by a tiny bit for each one. That slow-
 down, even if it is very minimal, will be happening every time WP runs on
 the front-end.

 So we're probably looking at slowing all WP sites by a little bit while
 speeding up some/few sites in some cases.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53670#comment:2>