[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50787: Consolidate the logic for displaying WP & PHP compatibility messages for themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 22 16:17:41 UTC 2021

#50787: Consolidate the logic for displaying WP & PHP compatibility messages for
themes
 Reporter:  SergeyBiryukov                       |       Owner:
                                                 |  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  task (blessed)                       |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 **PHP Incompatibility Testing Strategy**

 **How to test the PR**

 Pull the PR down to your local machine

 {{{
 git fetch origin pull/607/head:pr607
 git checkout pr607
 }}}

 Step 2: Change the `LOCAL_PHP=5.6-fpm` in `.env`.

 Step 3: Reprovision

 Step 4: Log into the admin area as an admin

 **Testing the plugin's PHP incompatibility message:**

 We'll attempt to add a plugin that requires PHP 7+ while your local dev
 environment is running PHP 5.6.

 Step 5: Go to the "Plugins" and then "Add Plugins" screen

 Step 6: Type "WooCommerce" in the search plugins field. Press
 enter/return.

 The incompatibility notice should appear across the top of the plugin:

 >This plugin doesn’t work with your version of PHP. Learn more about
 updating PHP.

 **Testing the theme's PHP incompatibility message:**

 Let's repeat this test with a theme that requires at least PHP 7.

 Step 7: Go to the "Themes" and then "Add Theme" screen

 Step 8: Type "Charitas Lite" in the search themes field. Press
 enter/return.

 The incompatibility notice should appear across the top of the plugin:

 >This theme doesn’t work with your version of PHP. Learn more about
 updating PHP.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50787#comment:21>