[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 17 16:41:00 UTC 2021

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
 Reporter:  jepperask                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  williampatton
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  testing-info                                   |

Comment (by xkon):

 Thanks for the work here @adakaleh and all the valuable comments from
 everyone else!

 To answer @BjornW in short, yes LocalStorage is to be considered an equal
 of a Cookie and should be communicated with the user. The directives
 basically apply into any "tracking" it's not just "cookies", that's a
 misconception since a cookie is the most common way. So even though
 technically a different approach, practically it's just about the same.

 This is also why a Policy content was added also in TwentyTwentyOne theme
 as well due to Dark Mode that is using LocalStorage. See
 https://github.com/WordPress/twentytwentyone/blob/trunk/classes/class-
 twenty-twenty-one-dark-mode.php#L408 (I'll cc @aristath here also in case
 he has to add anything) .

 That being said, if by according to the tests by @BjornW using the
 youtube-nocookie URL everything is "converted" from a cookie into
 LocalStorage, I'm not really sure what are we gaining with this change in
 reality?

 I'm not saying no to the change, I'm just trying to understand what would
 the actual difference be :).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:34>