[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50100: Native domain mapping does not handle both WWW and non-WWW versions of a domain - both should work

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 6 11:04:57 UTC 2020

#50100: Native domain mapping does not handle both WWW and non-WWW versions of a
domain - both should work
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jodamo5             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new

Comment (by jonoaldersonwp):

 https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/redirect_canonical/
 describes functionality which already exists, which attempts to redirect
 requests to URLs to the 'correct' version of that URL. That prevents some
 duplication issue, catches some 404s, etc.

 I'm suggesting that we integrate a 'check that this is the correct mapped
 domain' check into those existing processes, so that it can be turned
 on/off or modified using behaviours and hooks which already exist (and
 that, for sites which have disabled `redirect_canonical`, nothing will
 change).

 Note that `redirect_canonical` is turned on by default, and remains
 enabled unless specifically disabled by plugin/theme authors.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50100#comment:3>