[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and improve content navigation for assistive technology users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 18 07:09:42 UTC 2019

#47610: Media modal: add more headings to better identify the main sections and
improve content navigation for assistive technology users
 Reporter:  afercia                  |       Owner:  afercia
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  closed
  screenshots has-patch              |  javascript

Comment (by afercia):

 > > Then the accessibility recommendations are being applied to the code
 regardless of the UI elements that code represents. This seems like "the
 wrong way to do things" and often leads to inconsistencies in user
 experience for users of assistive technology.

 > I'm sorry but this sounds very arguable to me :) And sounds like a lack
 of a full understanding of what accessibility is.

 > > As far as I understand "accessibility" is "the design of products,
 devices, services, or environments so as to be usable by all people,
 including people with disabilities." Is that incorrect?

 Sure that is, though today it's preferable to say "regardless of the
 ability level".

 I didn't meant that though. In this part: "Then the accessibility
 recommendations are being applied to the code regardless of the UI
 elements that code represents" seems that UI elements should take
 precedence on the code and the code should just do its best to adapt to
 the visuals. This process isn't ideal under many aspects and it's what got
 us here, where the general accessibility of the WordPress admin isn't
 great.

 It should be quite the opposite :) Code needs to convey meaning and UI
 elements should adapt to represent that meaning at their best. Web
 standards and accessibility guidelines should be implemented from the very
 beginning of any design process and on top of that progressive enhancement
 can be used to build modern, beautiful, interfaces.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47610#comment:74>