[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48676: Correct spelling of sub-class > subclass and over-ride/over-ridden > override/overridden

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Nov 16 23:06:14 UTC 2019

#48676: Correct spelling of sub-class > subclass and over-ride/over-ridden >
override/overridden
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  I18N             |    Version:
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui-copy          |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello,

 While updating #46418 I noticed the use of over-ridden and sub-class which
 are more appropriate as overridden and subclass.

 For subclass if you look up OOP languages (PHP/Java/etc) all official
 documentation uses subclass without a hyphen;
 https://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.inheritance.php

 For override;
 > In general, use a hyphen to separate repeated letters in a compound word
 - re-emergence, co-operative, film-maker, night-time - but there are some
 exceptions, including overrun, override, overrule, underrate, withhold. As
 usual, consult the Oxford English Dictionary if in doubt.
 Reference - https://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/en/articles/art20130702112133530

 Patch incoming