[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49049: Skip external HTTP test for recommended PHP and MySQL versions on 503 errors

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 19 19:27:54 UTC 2019

#49049: Skip external HTTP test for recommended PHP and MySQL versions on 503
errors
------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  SergeyBiryukov    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Build/Test Tools  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+--------------------
 Background: #40533, #44613.

 * [33937] / [33946] introduced `test_readme()`, which performs HTTP
 requests to `php.net` and `dev.mysql.com` to verify that the recommended
 PHP and MySQL versions in `readme.html` are up-to-date.
 * [40519] made the test fail if `php.net` or `dev.mysql.com` are
 unreachable, in order to inform us of potential URL changes.

 This test currently fails with a `503 Service Temporarily Unavailable`
 error from `php.net` and the following response body, which appears to be
 some kind of DoS protection:
 {{{
 protection exception WP1X
 }}}

 While I agree that the test should not be skipped if the resources are
 permanently unavailable, failing for temporary issues outside of our
 control is not ideal.

 I think the test should skip, not fail, for 503 errors.

 On a related note, `https://secure.php.net/` now performs a 301 redirect
 to `https://www.php.net/`, so the URL in the test could be updated.