[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41851: Avoid more test skipping for situations that are actually errors or failures

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 13 14:54:38 UTC 2017

#41851: Avoid more test skipping for situations that are actually errors or
failures
------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  johnbillion       |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)    |      Status:  new

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 @johnbillion The changes to `Tests_Image_Meta` seem too strong to me.
 WordPress can run in environments without the `gd` or `exif` extensions.
 If we want the tests to be portable - especially for cases where hosts
 want to run them in their own environments - then we should not make them
 fail because of non-essential PHP modules. (That's what `phpunit --strict`
 is for.)

 If, on the other hand, we're going to decide that we want the tests to be
 maximally broad, and thus to have system requirements more stringent than
 WordPress itself, we should establish this as policy.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41851#comment:2>