[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40210: Twenty Seventeen: Content on homepage after installation does not match settings

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 22 06:06:23 UTC 2017

#40210: Twenty Seventeen: Content on homepage after installation does not match
settings
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  cvorko         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new
Changes (by cvorko):

 * version:  4.7.3 => 4.7

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:3 alexvorn2]:
 > This is because of new theme starter content feature integrated in 4.7,
 > https://make.wordpress.org/core/2016/11/30/starter-content-for-themes-
 in-4-7/
 > and I think it is executed only in Customizer, it should get executed on
 theme install too (without Live Preview)

 Thank you, this is the answer :-). And, according to the article, "Starter
 content is applied and displayed upon entering the customizer".

 I agree that it would be less confusing when the starter content would be
 applied on theme install (when there is no user content) because now we
 have two predefined "packages":
 - "Hello, world" and some pages on the install
 - starter packet on entering the customizer.

 The problem is that users feel confused when the page content changes
 while entering the customizer (e.g. menu is added). There should be at
 least a warning, something like "Starter content is applied and it should
 help you imagine what can stay on the page".

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40210#comment:5>