[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40336: Links to media files not updating with SSL activation and/or preferred domain change

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Apr 2 18:15:24 UTC 2017

#40336: Links to media files not updating with SSL activation and/or preferred
domain change
 Reporter:  only1andrewh  |       Owner:

Comment (by blobfolio):

 Hi @only1andrewh,

 I can tell you from personal experience that updating site hosts actually
 ends up being a bit of a heavy task. Occurrences can be sprinkled all over
 the database (not just certain columns of certain tables), and in many
 cases might be "serialized", requiring data to be pulled into PHP,
 updated, and pushed back (rather than just running the conversion entirely
 in MySQL).

 I'm sure that's why WP doesn't do it automatically.

 If you have command-line access to your server, WP-CLI makes the task
 really easy: http://wp-cli.org/commands/search-replace/

 `/path/to/wp-cli search-replace 'http://mydomain.com'
 'https://mydomain.com' --all-tables-with-prefix`

--