[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30166: Twenty Fifteen: Color contrast doesn't meet minimum accessibility requirements

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 29 15:15:52 UTC 2014

#30166: Twenty Fifteen: Color contrast doesn't meet minimum accessibility
requirements
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Looking more closely at `.entry-footer`, I think something's going wrong
 with the rgba rendering, as it looks lighter/lower-contrast than the
 fallback hex color (in Chrome on Windows 8.1). I did the quick calculation
 last night based on `#777` (visually equivalent) to `#f7f7f7`, which
 fails. This morning I calculated `#6e6e6e` as the equivalent hex color,
 which is fine, although we should update the fallback color (currently
 `#707070`) to match that (or the slightly different number you got). Why
 are we using rgba colors here, though? I don't see any need for that, and
 they're on a known, solid background and are causing font rendering
 inconsistencies for me that make the contrast seem lower. It would make
 more sense to use hex colors only here since there's no need for the
 opacity. I'm also starting to notice this particular rgba color used in
 more places, on both `#fff` and `#f7f7f7`, which will result in slightly
 different shades of gray. These also happen to be the  places that look
 low-contrast to me at first glance, so I think that is related to the
 font-rendering issues.

 Regardless of those, I definitely think that we should check the default
 settings in all the color schemes too. The one that immediately jumps out
 at me is the sidebar in the blue scheme. `#fff` on `#55c3dc` is a 2.05:1
 contrast ratio, which fails by a lot, and some elements have .7 opacity on
 top of that. A dark gray or black text color would pass (default `#333` is
 about 6:1 on that blue), or we would need a significant adjustment to the
 default background color there.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30166#comment:2>