[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22134: Update Network causes "WordPress database error Table 'wp_signups' already exists for query"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 30 05:04:16 UTC 2013

#22134: Update Network causes "WordPress database error Table 'wp_signups' already
exists for query"
 Reporter:  tomdxw        |       Owner:
Changes (by gradyetc):

 * cc: mike@… (added)
 * version:   => 3.0.1

Comment:

 Adding some more background info -- I've been investigating this as we're
 getting ready to upgrade a MU-era install from 3.1.4 to 3.6.1 and we're
 encountering the same warnings.

 It looks like this has actually been an issue since 3.0.1 due to the logic
 fliespl describes in #22791.  Warnings were triggered during upgrades of
 non-root blogs as the CREATE TABLE statements for global tables
 (`wp_users` and `wp_usermeta` at the time) hung around due to the
 `continue` statement on line 1538 of `wp-admin/includes/upgrade.php`.

 We just didn't notice anything until 3.5 as that's when checks before
 `error_log`'ing were removed in WP_DB::print_error().

 In 3.3 it got a bit worse due to logic changes in `make_db_current*` in
 `wp-admin/includes/upgrade.php` -- the calls to `dbDelta` started
 including the MS global tables at that time.

 I'd love to add some unit tests as proof but `dbDelta` is tricky to test
 as it's written.  I can confirm that 22134-b.patch fixes the issue.

 Any chance this could get looked at?  We have 1495 sites over 29 networks
 (and growing) and the unneccessary CREATE statements / warnings are adding
 10+ minutes to the upgrade procedure.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22134#comment:12>