[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23259: Allow filtering the $function parameter of add_filter(), has_filter() and remove_filter()

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 24 22:30:32 UTC 2013

#23259: Allow filtering the $function parameter of add_filter(), has_filter() and
remove_filter()
------------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  MikeSchinkel            |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request         |      Status:  closed

Comment (by scribu):

 > But I would see it as too course-grained to address the hook removal
 use-case.

 Yes, but you start from the premise that what sitebuilders want to do is
 "remove hooks". My contention is that that's not what they want to do;
 they want to stop those annoying share buttons from appearing under each
 post. Or they want to not have plugin X enqueue a bunch of JS files on
 every single page.

 Back to the topic at hand: There is no quick fix for needlessly complex
 plugin or theme code; a patch to WP core won't fix it. Neither will a
 single Codex page.

 What we can do is:

 a) Encourage devs to make the class instance available, like you did in
 your blog post.

 b) Write more blog posts on how to organize complex plugins, on when
 classes are necessary and when they aren't etc.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23259#comment:12>