[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20621: Unable to reach "Edit Page" screen when Wordpress admin has a few thousand pages.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun May 6 18:58:08 UTC 2012

#20621: Unable to reach "Edit Page" screen when Wordpress admin has a few thousand
pages.
 Reporter:  jorenrapini   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Database      |    Version:  3.3.2
 Severity:  blocker       |   Keywords:  needs-patch
 We have a website on Wordpress 3.3.2 with around 8,000 pages on it. We've
 tried moving the website to multiple hosting accounts and even a server
 with 1GB of dedicated memory, all plugins disabled, but it seems we hit a
 threshold in what Wordpress is capable of serving.

 Wordpress seems to be running an extremely inefficient query to serve its
 Pages and Page Edit admin screens. After having too many pages, these
 screens will simply just load forever. Wp_list_pages query seems to do
 something similar, that was causing any pages an extra couple of minutes
 to load on the front end, but once I replaced it with a custom MySQL query
 to produce the same results, the pages loaded instantly. I cannot do the
 same with the admin though  :(