[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18713: No hooks available to "calculate" a post_title when only custom metaboxes in use

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Sep 20 04:52:49 UTC 2011

#18713: No hooks available to "calculate" a post_title when only custom metaboxes
in use
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  mikeschinkel                        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                         |      Status:  new
Changes (by mikeschinkel):

 * cc: mikeschinkel@… (added)

Comment:

 FYI, here is a short term solution that I am using to bypass the code that
 causes `wp_insert_post()` to bail when `$_POST['post_title'] is empty:

 {{{
 add_action( 'admin_init', 'myplugin_admin_init' );
 function myplugin_admin_init() {
   global $pagenow;
   if ( count( $_POST ) && empty( $_POST['post_title'] ) ) {
     if ( 'post.php' == $pagenow ) {
       $_POST['post_title'] = 'To be replaced';
     } else {
       // This just to let me know if I need to add other tests.
       wp_die( "ERROR: Unexpected value for \$pagenow when
 \$_POST['post_title'] is empty: {$pagenow} " );
     }
   }
 }
 }}}

 I then update the `'post_title'` field within the `'wp_insert_post_data'`
 hook.  Of course this is a real hack, and it doesn't let a plugin ensure
 that the custom post type can be saved correctly when wp_insert_post() is
 called directly from code, but the attached patch would allow a plugin to
 ensure it.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18713#comment:1>