[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old posts causes trackbacks

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jul 20 07:59:29 UTC 2009

#6698: Editing a published post causes excessive pings / closing comments on old
posts causes trackbacks
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  lapcat                   |        Owner:  Denis-de-Bernardy
     Type:  defect (bug)             |       Status:  reopened
Changes (by VoxPelli):

  * keywords:  has-patch tested => has-patch needs-testing
  * component:  Comments => Pings/Trackbacks

Comment:

 @Denis: Your suggested patch will not queue up pings during the wait
 period - if I create a new post during the wait period it should be queued
 up and a ping sent as soon as the minimum wait time between ping calls has
 passed.

 Why would a transient be better than a pure option? I haven't come across
 the transient function that much before - but giving them a brief look now
 I think they only add excessive database interaction by having that
 timeout - because it doesn't delete a timed out option prior to it being
 accessed at which time it will be updated immediately as well.

 I would still suggest using my patch - perhaps with a change to transient
 if there are any good reason for that that I now fail to see and perhaps
 removing the now forced minimum 60 seconds throttling.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6698#comment:34>