[wp-testers] Catchable fatal error: Nav menu + term of custom taxonomy

michael at mfields.org michael at mfields.org
Sun Apr 10 03:55:15 UTC 2011

Hello,

I was running some tests today with custom taxonomies, when I came across
what I believe to be a bug in version 3.1.1. Here's how to reproduce:

1. Register custom taxonomy "topic" via functions.php in a clone of
TwentyTen.
2. Create a new term "topic-one".
3. Associate "topic-one" with 1 or more posts.
4. Add "topic-one" to a nav menu that is assigned to a theme location.
5. Activate TwentyTen (or un-register the taxonomy).
6. Visit a public view of the site that contains the nav menu. Similar
notices to the following are shown:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /wp-includes/nav-menu.php
on line 563

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /wp-includes/nav-menu.php
on line 563

Warning: preg_split() expects parameter 2 to be string, object given in
/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 34

7. Visit the /wp-admin/nav-menus.php. There are quite a few notices and
the following fatal error stops script execution:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to
string in /wp-includes/formatting.php on line 445