[wp-testers] jpegs are turned to jpgs when thumbnailed

Paul Robinson pablorobinson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 01:33:55 UTC 2010

Nope Shoj had it right. While technically jpeg & jpg are the same thing (I
believe the jpeg was/is Macs based or something according to my old IT
teacher), I did just mean the fact that it converts .jpeg to .jpg.

I had guessed at quirk. I guess you could also say it's a compatibility bug
that is at best a problem with some plugins rather than WordPress itself. I
guess it just depends on whether you think WordPress should fix it or if the
plugin authors should.

I only asked as I noticed a bug in my own plugin and a few others as they
assume .jpeg will be still .jpeg when turned into a thumbnail & not changed
to .jpg.

I'm stuck on how to fix my plugin's problem though as it's a regex image tag
finder (finds images in your post and then returns the url someone asked me
to make it) but can also detect if the image was uploaded via WP and then
switch between the WP thumbnail sizes. I can't seem to think of a way to
check the file extension as it makes an educated guess at the url for the
size you picked using the file extension of the image in the post (which if
it has a jpeg file extension will be wrong). I would ask WordPress for the
URL but I don't think there is a way to take a URL & find the attachment ID
from it, is there?

Anyway I didn't mean to burden you all with my plugin woes. Just wondered if
this would be considered a bug/quirk or not. Sorry guys & gals.

Paul.