[wp-testers] Automated Testing

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 16:21:25 UTC 2010

Hi Prasath,

On 2 Jun 2010, at 16:23, Prasath Nadarajah wrote:

> hi every body i,m new to wordpress
> i,m trying to test wordpress and i have a couple of questions.
>
> i,m a linux user and i have installed the lampstack, phpunit
> i checked the test suite with subversion and configured it.
> testing is working and i gt the following results.
> FAILURES!
> Tests: 500, Assertions: 4175, Failures: 121, Errors: 38, Skipped: 18.
>
> can anyone explain these terms such as assertions,failures,errors.

Assertions are the actual individual tests statements within a test case - an assertion is something like "does this function call return true" or "does the return of this function match the expected value"
Failures - Tests that failed
Errors - php errors (I think)
Skipped - Tests that were skipped for some reason - by default the test runner skips tests which have bugs open in trac

> also when i make a change in the source code how can i identify the
> impact of it??
> is it will be the difference in failures (more failures)?

Ideally less failures :-)

> also i gt the some  messages like
> depreciated: PHP depreciated:
> in the command line before the tests start.
> much help is appreciated

This is in part because we support PHP4 and PHP has since deprecated language functionality that is required in PHP4 but not in later versions.

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5