[wp-testers] WordPress 3.0: problem with empty excerpts being returned by the_excerpt()

Krusty Ruffle krustyruffle at rustykruffle.com
Sun Jul 11 18:55:11 UTC 2010

I'm encountering a situation where the_excerpt somehow returns empty
excerpts for. I first encountered this in a custom post type where I had an
excerpt but then emptied the excerpt field and updated the post. Afterwards
the excerpt on index pages was empty. I tried replicating this with a
regular post and found the same behavior.

running:
echo has_filter('get_the_excerpt', 'wp_trim_excerpt');
returns '10' which shows that wp_trim_excerpt() is running, which is where I
think WordPress creates custom excerpt if none is specified for the post.

I've tried disabling all plugins and setting Twenty Ten as the theme but
still get the same results.

The strange thing is that it works fine if no excerpt was ever saved with
the post. It will create and display as expected, if you save a post with an
excerpt it will display that excerpt, but if you go back to the edit screen,
delete everything from the excerpt field and save again it suddenly stops
working.

Am I missing something here, or is this maybe just happening to me?

Thanks for reading...