[wp-testers] "mu-plugins"-folder?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sat Apr 10 03:20:05 UTC 2010

> From the looks of the Plugins page, there are now "Network Activated"
> plugins *as well as* "Must-Use" plugins loaded from the `mu-plugins`
> directory. However, "Network Activate" is only available on WordPress
> installations using multisite.

Network Activate is carry-over from sitewide plugins in MU. Such plugins
would run network-wide. Unrelated, the "Must-Use" tab actually exposing
mu-plugins in the admin is new in 3.0. (There is another tab for drop-ins,
if in use.) If I recall correctly, mu-plugins were around before sitewide
plugins were introduced. That said, there are no plans to remove or
deprecate mu-plugins support.

Has anyone tried using Must-Use plugins with a WordPress 3.0 installation
> without a network?

Yup, and they've worked since 2.8.