[wp-testers] Wordpress scaling problems

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Jan 29 19:32:35 GMT 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 5:43 AM, matthijs wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>
>> For the specific case that we're talking about, yes, you need them
>> all. The key here is the category and/or postname. These are just
>> arbitrary strings. So you need all the strings with which to compare
>> it with.
>
> Again, I understand that in the - current - wordpress design this is
> how it
> goes. But if you forget the current design for a moment, and think
> about how
> you could otherwise design a system handling permalinks. I can hardly
> believe there is no other way to do this.

I suppose you could put them into their own table, with each record
containing the list of all permalinks that start with a particular
combination of two letters (With those two letters being the key of
the record).  At most this table would have 676 (26 x 26) records.
Then your SQL call can take the first two letters of the URL and pull
the proper record.

It's not perfect, and almost certainly could be improved, but it would
scale better than the current all-in-one-giant-field system.

Then again, most people don't need it.  Could this be done in a plugin?

Stephen

P.S. -- more than 676 actually, since numbers will be in there too....

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/