[wp-testers] Wordpress scaling problems

matthijs matthijsenator at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 08:12:13 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:

> As mentioned on that ticket, If you're using a sane rewrite pattern,
> then theres no problem at all, Most people will have about 20 rewrite
> rules no matter how many posts/attachments/pages they have.

I would not consider putting %category% or %postname% in the permalink
structure as "insane". It's quite a logical thing to do. Many people do use
it. But this is not the discussion here. The discussion about scaling is
about the technical implementation of it all.

I understand your explanation (good summery btw), but my point is that the
problem is not that there are so many rewrite rules, but that all of them
are placed in a single serialized string in one table field. That doesn't
scale well, you don't have to be a database administrator to understand
that. For the same reason you don't put all categories in a single field. Or
all options in one field. It's for this reason that database normalization
exists. So it's not about MySql's limits, but about the limits due to a
design decision in the code.

Maybe there are reasons this is done this way, and I'll admit I'm not
familiar enough with the wordpress code to know. But that doesn't mean it
can't be changed.