[wp-testers] Plugin update not working

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Jan 2 15:41:04 GMT 2009

On Jan 1, 2009, at 9:27 PM, DD32 wrote:

> 2009/1/2 Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com>:
>> On Jan 1, 2009, at 7:48 AM, DD32 wrote:
>>> Anyway, Heres an alpha release of a plugin i'm working on:
>>> http://dd32.id.au/files/core-control.zip
>>
>> cURL:  An Error has occured: name lookup timed out
>>
>> I Disabled cURL
>>
>> PHP fopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from
>> http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php
>>
>> PHP fsockopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from
>> http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php
>
> I somewhat thought that would happen, I dont know why, But i suspect
> cURL bundled with PHP with MAMP is crippled.. or maybe the timeout for
> curl's lookup is just too short.. no idea why

I'm quite sure something changed with WP 2.7.  This all worked before
-- I didn't change MAMP, but I did upgrade WP.  Though again, it *was*
working with WP 2.7 betas, so maybe something else on my computer is
screwy....

>> Plugin update check worked -- no new updated found.
>> (Incidentally, Update *check* has been working, just no the actual
>> auto-update on plugins
> Which is odd.. Given that if one fails, they should both fail.. It
> could just be that cURL works 50% of the time..

It's a pretty precise 50%.  Update checking worked (seemingly)
normally, but actual updates failed every time.

>> The plugin looks as though it has good potential for
>> troubleshooting and
>> certain development tasks.  (Actually the ability to "check for
>> update now"
>> is going to help me with another thing I'm working on, so...
>> Cool! :-)
>
> Thats the main purpose of it :) But i'm planning on basing a few small
> modules off it, I'm sick of building a dozen tiny plugins for random
> uses which might only be used once, I wanted something i could just
> add it as a seperate module which would hopefully be of use to someone
> else in some form :) -

BTW, I updated your core plugin this morning, and now the front page
is blank.  (The one that lets me turn modules on/off.)

> That.. And some way I could update the plugin
> without having to submit the 1-liner to wordpress.org..
> Got any thoughts on other modules which would be helpful to plugin
> developers?

You might put in a module that shows everything in the wp-cron and
allows the user to run them with a button.  A sort of stripped-down
crontrol.

You could also put in something that shows the wp-rewrite info and/or
the mod_rewrite stuff that WP writes to .htaccess

As for existing "one-liner" plugins, how about...

Toggle post revisions and autosave:
http://exper.3drecursions.com/2008/07/25/disable-revisions-and-autosave-plugin/

At any rate, you might set your plugin up so that third-party devs can
make modules.  That probably includes making a "module" folder
*outside* of your plugin's folder, so the third-party modules are not
overwritten on auto-update.  (I really wish WordPress would figure out
a standard for such things -- there are a lot of plugins that allows
third-party add-on files.)

Stephen