[wp-testers] Plugin update not working

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Jan 2 03:15:23 GMT 2009

On Jan 1, 2009, at 7:48 AM, DD32 wrote:

> Anyway, Heres an alpha release of a plugin i'm working on:
> http://dd32.id.au/files/core-control.zip
>
> * Activate that,
> * Then head over to the "Core Control" options page,
> * Activate the HTTP module  & Updates module
> * Head into the HTTP page (its up the top there)
> * Click "Test" on the Primary transports, If one fails to work, Click
> "Disable Transport" (most likely you'll do this to the cURL transport)

cURL:  An Error has occured: name lookup timed out

I Disabled cURL

PHP fopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php

PHP fsockopen(): Successfully retrieved & verified document from http://tools.dd32.id.au/wordpress/core-control.php

> * See if the updates work properly:

With cURL disabled, I successfully auto-updated a plugin

> * Now, Head into the Updates tab now (up the top again)
> * Force an update check to occur for the plugins by clicking the
> link (You
> can do Themes/Core too if you so wish)

Plugin update check worked -- no new updated found.
(Incidentally, Update *check* has been working, just no the actual
auto-update on plugins

> Report back with any errors that it throws up, Hopefully it might
> shed some
> light.
>
> Just to repeat, That plugin is alpha, and not release quality, Its
> UI needs
> some work, and some of the modules code is horrible :) (Well..
> actually its
> bloody beautiful compared to some WP plugins I've seen recently...)

The plugin looks as though it has good potential for troubleshooting
and certain development tasks.  (Actually the ability to "check for
update now" is going to help me with another thing I'm working on,
so... Cool! :-)

Regards,
Stephen