[wp-testers] URLs in email (was: 24-hour has-patch marathon)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Apr 16 18:54:08 GMT 2009

On Apr 16, 2009, at 12:02 PM, ProDevStudio wrote:

> Interesting but that link is broken in Gmail. the "~has-patch" part
> does not
> get linked... might want to use a shorter link next time.

I posted this to Jane privately, but since it's been brought up....

For future reference, if you want to make a more email-compatible URL
-- especially a very long one -- put it inside angle brackets, like so:

<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=component&milestone=2.8&keywords=~has-patch

This is a standard as old as email itself, and is pretty universally
understood by email clients.

Without the brackets, some email clients don't know to make that URL
clickable, and when they do make it clickable, some don't know quite
where the URL ends.  For instance, in Apple's "Mail" app, [and
apparently in GMail], I can click on the URL, but it doesn't know to
include past the tilde at the end, so the "~has-patch" bit is left
off.  Kind of important, that.  ;-)

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider