[wp-testers] 2.6.3 + Strict Doc Type + "aria-required='true' = failed validation

Idled Soul idledsoul at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:16:49 GMT 2008

Otto wrote:
> > I really don't understand what you mean, exactly. If you don't want to
> > put the aria-* stuff into your theme, then don't. You can be any
> > doctype you please. The whole aria spec is an optional thing, for
> > accessibility purposes. It's not quite possible to make it validate
> > yet, as the spec is still being developed. However, some browsers
> > already understand it, which it why it's been implemented in the
> > default theme.
>

> Also, XHTML 1.1 doesn't have "Strict" and "Transitional", so that
> doesn't make any sense. You cannot validate aria-* with XHTML 1.0
> anything, period.

Ah ha! Sorry for the confusion. This question was for someone else's
theme actually, not my own. I was asking on their behalf. Evidently they
just decided to use the Strict Doc Type versus Transitional, or
whatever. I don't remember the exact Doc they used for Strict, but when
they used the "Strict" they had one validation error.

They evidently changed it to this:

And are getting 10 errors. So from what you're saying, then tomorrow I'll let them know to just
remove that, or use the original display for the "Required" text by the comment input fields,
like I suggested to them earlier. Sorry about the confusion again. I guess it don't help when
I AM confused too, that, and needing sleep!... LOL!