[wp-testers] Automatic upgrade still failing

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Nov 3 15:09:39 GMT 2008

Unfortunately, I think that the automatic upgrade process is
fundamentally incompatible with a secure site. See, in order for it to
work, all the WordPress files need to be writable by the webserver
(unless the "FTP" method is used). This is a tricky proposition at
best.

Furthermore, overwriting all those files isn't like a plugin upgrade,
with only a few files. It takes a lot longer, more memory, etc.

So much like plugin upgrading, it's not going to always work for
everybody under all conditions. I think this should be made more
clear, somehow. And the recommended way should always be to "do it
yourself". The manual way. It's the safest and sanest way to upgrade
things.

-Otto