[wp-testers] Date format

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Sun Nov 2 23:58:37 GMT 2008

A very cool addition to the Options panel is a section for choosing
the default date format for all of WP's strings - this is a huge step
from the overly-geeky date()-using field, while still keeping it as a
last option of 4, under "Custom"
Even cooler is that the first field in this section is directly
extracted from the translation file. Indeed, while by default the date
settings are "F j, Y", I am able to set the first option as "j F Y" ;
same for the hour setting, from "g:i a" to "G:i".

Alas, WP still use the Custom format as the default, while I think the
logic would be to use the first option.
What's more, the original Custom format is the English one, not the
translation's. Same for date and hour.
Conséquently, by default, dates appear in an inadequate format: for
instance, the Dashboard's Last Draft panels says, in fr_FR: "#
novembre 2, 2008 Mon titre", while it should be "2 novembre 2 2008
Petit test".

So, could it be made that the default and custom date/hour formats are
those of the translation?
Thanks a lot for listening.

(while I'm at it: even better would be to be able to influence all
options from the translation, not just the first one)
--
Xavier Borderie