[wp-testers] Re: tried again... still not right...

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:09:37 GMT 2008

XAMPP for Windows works amazingly well on a Windows machine and it's
fairly easy to install and setup. Keep in mind though that there are
certain quirks with a local WordPress sandbox using XAMPP that you may
or may not see with an online host. For example, I have a locally
installed WordPress "sandbox" on a XAMPP install on Windows XP Pro that
never manages to get through the core auto upgrade process but works
fine for theme and plugin auto-updates. However, auto upgrades of the
core work with no problem for my online sites (Bluehost).

I find XAMPP very handy though for checking out problems with plugins,
themes and the majority of WordPress functions (and new versions of
course) but results and performance will vary depending on your
computer's setup.