[wp-testers] Code Kvetching

Rick Beckman rick.beckman at gmail.com
Tue May 6 22:33:49 GMT 2008

Doug,

Perhaps it's relevant to PRE as well, but I did mean to say CODE.

The primary differences between the two:

CODE
* Inline element
* Provides semantic "this is code" meaning
* Akin to STRONG or EM in that it shouldn't be used for styling but rather
for the meaning it imbues the text with

PRE
* Block element
* Provides no semantic meaning
* Akin to DIV in that it is a stylistic element with no meaning.

PRE can be sacrificed easily enough to a <div class="pre"></div> block
without any meaning being lost; CODE cannot be so easily replaced with a
SPAN -- it's default styles can be replicated, but the semantic meaning is
lost.

--
Rick

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Rick Beckman <rick.beckman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  2) WordPress is inconsistent about which entities are preserved when
> marking
> >  up code. Quotes remain straight, triple dots aren't converted to
> ellipses,
> >  and ampersands are properly escaped... but things like double-dashes
> (--)
> >  are still typographically altered, which results in broken code being
> >  output. Between CODE tags, NO character substitution should be taking
> place,
> >  save for the proper escaping of &, <, and > to preserve (X)HTML
> validity.
> >

> You mean between PREs.  CODE is shorthand for monospace font, pre
> respects existing spacing and markup.
>

> --
> -Doug
>
> http://literalbarrage.org/blog/